Venettes Cultural Workshop founder, Mary Baird, was a great influence on her goddaughter, Dawn Shedrick, as Dawn grew up attending classes at the workshop and watched as her godmother created a space for many Black children in their Long Island, New York, neighborhood to know that they matter — those who may otherwise have fallen through the proverbial cracks. Dawn carried this same passion with her into her work as a social worker — keeping people out of the cracks, whether that was through community organizing or providing resources for those with HIV/AIDS .
Today, as Founder and Chief Learning Officer of her own consulting business, JenTex Training & Consulting, Dawn now supports other social workers health service providers with avoiding a major crack many of them slip into: Burnout. On this episode of the Support is Sexy podcast, Dawn talks about setting up a business that reflects your vision and your principles, the importance of self care for caretakers, how to ask for and accept support and how to be ok with being messy.
On this episode you’ll learn:
- How to take the path less traveled — even when you’re already down another road.
- The importance of figuring out a way to transition from your full-time job into entrepreneurship.
- Reasons to consider the possibility of partnerships.
- Why you should start with the low-hanging fruit when spreading the word about your business.
- How to get through those moments when the business brings you to your knees.
- The importance of being transparent about our experiences as entrepreneurs.
- How to be vulnerable and ask for AND accept support, even when it’s uncomfortable.
- How to trust that the support will show up for you.
- How to be ok exposing your messiness.
- How to battle burnout.
- How to be empowered to say “no” and be prepared to face whatever comes after that “no.”
- Why it’s importance for us to “feel the feels” and not numb the pain.
VISIT JENTEX TRAINING & CONSULTING at jentextraining.com.
FOLLOW JENTEX TRAINING & CONSULTING at…
FOLLOW DAWN SHEDRICK at…
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Venettes Cultural Workshop
Support is Sexy Mastermind
Aurielle Jones, Vivid Interiors (Interior designer I mention in this episode)
DON’T MISS AN EPISODE OF SUPPORT IS SEXY!
[Music: “Someone Else’s Memories” by Revolution Void]