Karen Young was an adventurous trouble maker — in a good way — and clear from an early age that she’d be an entrepreneur, even if didn’t know exactly what that was at the time. She always knew that she could be anything she wanted, and part of the reason for this was because of the important lesson her grandmother taught her about perseverance. This lesson is something the Guyana native had to call on years later when she went through a difficult time after deciding to close her first business.
Today, Karen — who resides in Brooklyn, N.Y. — is the creator of Oui Shave, a women’s shaving brand that is disrupting the beauty industry. On this episode of the Support is Sexy podcast, Karen shares how to overcome public failures, how to measure your business’s success (beyond social media), how to optimize F.O.M.O. and why support along your journey is essential.
On this episode you’ll learn:
- What perseverance looks like.
- How to know when it may be time to close up shop and move on.
- Lessons Karen learned about from failure of her first business.
- The dangers of the successful entrepreneur narrative.
- The benefits of going back to a 9-to-5 to give yourself some space.
- The importance of seeking therapy when needed and prioritizing self-care.
- Her tips for what she now knows about creating a successful business.
- Why your business must solve a problem.
- Her advice for getting your products to market.
- The value of in-person presentation of your products.
- How to measure the success of your business (beyond social media).
- How to attract retailers for your products.
- What she learned about the importance of SUPPORT!!!
VISIT OUI SHAVE at ouishave.com
GET A SPECIAL DISCOUNT JUST FOR SUPPORT IS SEXY LISTENERS! ENTER DISCOUNT CODE: SUPPORT IS SEXY AT CHECKOUT ON OUISHAVE.COM!
FOLLOW OUI SHAVE AT…
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
DON’T MISS AN EPISODE OF SUPPORT IS SEXY!
JOIN SUPPORT IS SEXY!
[Music: “Easy” by SPCZ]