Shortly after graduating college with a degree in journalism, Melinda Emerson landed her dream job as a television producer in Philadelphia — and, she hated it. Mean people and countless hours pushed her to eventually make a move. And that move was to become an entrepreneur.
Melinda studied as much as she could about business, going to events and joining organizations that would provide her with business insight, and then she used her experience to start a video production company called Quintessence group with just a laptop, a fax machine and a dream. The company, and Melinda, became very successful — topping many of the who’s who in business lists — then everything changed, again, and she made a change to figure out her next chapter. She hasn’t looked back.
On this episode, Melinda talks about how she became THE small biz lady, taking heed when “the voice” tells you where to go next, key ways to avoid small business failure and how to build a megabrand that reaches millions of people in spite of the curve balls in business and life.
On this episode you’ll learn:
- The biggest mistake she made in business.
- What happens when you no longer love the business you’ve created.
- Why writing a book — a good book — helps position you as an expert.
- What to do when life and business throw you a curve ball.
- How to market yourself and build your brand effectively on social media.
- The importance of repurposing content.
- Why quality content always rises to the top.
- Smart reasons to separate your brand from your name.
- Top 5 reasons small business fail.
- And why I’m pushing her to start her own podcast. 🙂
VISIT MELINDA EMERSON at…
FOLLOW MELINDA at…
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Become Your Own Boss in 12 Months: A Month-by-Month Guide to a Business That Work by Melinda F. Emerson (Adams Media, 2014)
DON’T MISS AN EPISODE OF SUPPORT IS SEXY!
[Music: “Someone Else’s Memories” by Revolution Void]