Building a Business and a Community in Spain with Las Morenas de Espana Founder Sienna Brown
From the time she spent a semester abroad in Madrid during her years of undergrad at Vassar college, Sienna Brown knew that one day, she was going to make that move. After graduating, and even though she loved her life and her blossoming career in marketing and communications while living in Brooklyn, the New York native decided that time had come. She made the move to Spain three years ago, and has looked back only to encourage more people to do the same, and to provide them with the resources, information and community to do so.
Today, Sienna’s web site, community, travel and events company Las Morenas de Espana — which began as an online resource for women of color living in or wanting to move to Spain — has reached every single country in the world. On this episode of the Support is Sexy podcast, Sienna talks about evolving her business into a movement, building a community of passionate explorers, inspiring others to live the good life in more ways than one and how living abroad has shifted her perspective of what it means to be an entrepreneur
On this episode you’ll learn:
- Following the call when it tells you it’s time to make a move.
- 3 things you should know before making a move abroad.
- The benefits of immersing yourself in a culture to learn the language.
- Why living outside of the “big city” may be the best idea.
- How to keep an open mind and remain creative when starting over in a new country.
- Using social media and social gatherings to make new friends and new connections.
- The importance of integrating within the community and creating your own space.
- Evolving your business as your community evolves, while staying true to your mission.
- Utilizing partnerships to grow your business.
- Creating events as an extension of your brand and your community.
- Being conscious of the people you have in your inner circle.
Thank you for listening! And hey, if you love it, click here to leave us a Rating & Review on iTunes!
VISIT LAS MORENAS DE ESPANA at lasmorenasdeespana.com
FOLLOW LAS MORENAS DE ESPANA at…
VISIT SIENNA at siempregirando.com
FOLLOW SIENNA at…
Contact Sienna at Sienna@lasmorenaadeespana.com
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
North America teaching association
“Facing Your Fears and Moving Abroad”
Sienna’s book recommendation: Never Eat Alone by Keith Farrazzi (Crown Business, 2014)
[Music: “Someone Else’s Memories” by Revolution Void]