Wendy Wollner has always been loud and loving. Yes, it’s possible to be both. As one of few women CEOs whenever she’s in the room negotiating with Fortune 500 companies on behalf of her corporate training business, Balancing Life’s Issues, Wendy has learned over the past three decades of being an entrepreneur that “For me to be taken seriously, I learned I had to be a little loud.”
Another thing that the Westchester, New York, native says is possible: Work-life balance. In fact, it was her pursuit of work-life balance as a divorced mom of three 30 years ago that led her down the path of discovering this possibility and creating a company that teaches these skills and many more to corporations around the globe — covering 300 topics and conducting more than 15,000 sessions per year.
On this episode of the Support is Sexy podcast, Wendy offers plenty of tips for how women entrepreneurs can achieve balance in their own lives, what it means to develop your emotional IQ (especially when it comes to understanding your own emotions), how to embrace healthy conflicts and how to live out loud even when others are telling you to be quiet.
On this episode you’ll learn:
- What it’s like to the only woman CEO in the room.
- Wendy’s personal definition of mindfulness.
- How to find balance between drive and ambition and being compassionate.
- How to handle it when people tell you to “tone it down.”
- How to process feedback.
- How to fight fairly and have healthy conflict.
- Is work-life balance truly attainable?
- 5 buckets of contentment.
- What do we need to feel you?
- How to come to terms with the poor decisions and mistakes we’ve made.
- Tips to pitch your company for corporate training.
- The importance of laughter.
- Why emotional intelligence is important and helps your find balance.
- Why sucking it up sucks.
- Knowing the differences between the emotions your feeling: sad, despondent, fear, anxiety, overwhelm…
- The trouble with multitasking.
- How to do resolutions right, and know that it’s not always about focusing on what’s “wrong.”
- How to positively leverage your emotions.
- Top 3 tips for finding balance and managing stress.
- Why rest is a gamechanger and “crushing it” is a think of the past..
- Why the idea that you don’t have enough time is a convenient excuse.
VISIT BALANCING LIFE’S ISSUES at balancinglifesissues.com.
FOLLOW BALANCING LIFE’S ISSUES at…
FOLLOW WENDY WOLLNER at…
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE
The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World by Daili Lama and Archbishop Desmond Tutu (Avery, 2016)
“Let 2017 Be the Year of Working Hard and Resting Hard” by Carl Richards in New York Times
Thank you for listening! And hey, if you love it, please click here to leave us a Rating & Review on iTunes!
[Music: “Easy” by SPCZ]