When Monique Alvarez was in college pursuing a degree in communications, she knew one thing: It wasn’t for her. The Syracuse, New York, native dreamt of moving to New York City and getting a career in fashion, which she did — leaving college in her third year, and working from the bottom up in the fashion industry. Thirteen years later, after rising through the ranks at luxury brands such as Valentino and Alexander McQueen and traveling to Europe for fashion shows, Monique knew something else: It was time for a new chapter.
That new chapter is her new luxury consignment and vintage boutique, Lifestyle Statement, located in Brooklyn, New York — a chapter she hadn’t planned, but that she could feel was the right one. On this episode, Monique talks about paying attention when things align on your path, how to create a meaningful experience for your customers and why confidence is everything.
On this episode you’ll learn…
- The importance of tapping into your personal and professional network for support with your new business.
- How to make sure your customers have a beautiful experience.
- Paying attention when things begin to align.
- The importance of going with the flow and planning.
- How to find your clients.
- What truly makes a piece vintage.
- How consignment works.
- The importance of participating in events with likeminded businesses.
- Why confidence is everything.
- Monique’s one key of advice for those considering a pop up shop or boutique.
Thank you for listening! And hey, if you love it, click here to leave us a Rating & Review on iTunes!
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
A Current Affair event
Photographer Heather Hazzan
Christian Culture Center
The Game of Life and How to Win by Florence Scovel Shinn (Phan Anh, 1925)
How to Win Friends and Influence Them by Dale Carnegie (Pocket Books, 1937)
Strategize to Win: The New Way to Start Out, Step Up, or Start Over in Your Career by Carla A. Harris (Avery, 2014)
Tony Robbins podcast
Joyce Myers podcast
[Music: “Someone Else’s Memories” by Revolution Void]