When Dorie Clark, marketing strategy consultant and author of the enlightening new book, Entrepreneurial You, was executive director of a non-profit, she realized, essentially, that she was running her own small business. This sparked the entrepreneurial flame that — after a year of planning that included taking courses and doing extensive research — Dorie decided to cultivate.
Ten years later, the Pinehurst, North Carolina, native has run her own successful marketing and consulting business for more than ten years, is a global speaker, has worked with clients around the world — including Google, Yale University and the National Park Service, and has eight (yep, eight) streams of income. On this episode of the Support is Sexy podcast, Dorie, who also teaches at Duke University Fuqua School of business, shares her top strategies from Entrepreneurial You to help you “monetize your expertise, create multiple income streams and thrive.”
On this episode you’ll learn:
- The market will show you when your original idea is not the right one.
- Why it’s important to have a “portfolio career.”
- Why most successful entrepreneurs have at least seven streams of income.
- Seven strategies that entrepreneurs can use to monetize your expertise and create multiple income streams.
- How writing a book shifts the perception on your credibility and leads to opportunities.
- Why having your own email list is more important than ever.
- Why Dorie talks about maximizing long-term relationships and reputation over maximizing money.
- How to attract your ideal client.
- How to know when it’s time to upgrade your clients.
- How to consciously uncouple from your client.
- Smart ways to get professional speaking engagements.
- The power of podcasting (and podcast guesting).
- The importance of pruning the dead shit!
VISIT DORIE CLARK AT dorieclark.com
Get Dorie Clark’s book, Entrepreneurial You: Monetize Your Expertise, Create Multiple Income Streams and Thrive (Harvard Business Review, October 2017)
Download Dorie’s 88 Question Entrepreneurial You Self-Assessment
FOLLOW DORIE CLARK AT…
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
National Organization for Women
Grant Baldwin, professional speaker
GIRL ON PODCAST – A booking service dedicated to connecting brilliant women who podcast with inspiring women who guest! Are you interested in sharing your message via podcast as a guest? Are you a host looking for incredible guests? Visit GirlOnPodcast.com now to find out more!
Audible – Get a free 30 day trial and choose from more than 180,000 titles (including The One Thing) at Audible.com. Plus get your first download on them!
MeetEdgar – A social media management tool that helps you easily recycle and re-promote your evergreen content and increase engagement! Use the promo code SEXY for one month free + $5 off your second month!
DON’T MISS AN EPISODE OF SUPPORT IS SEXY!
Click here to subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts.
Click here to subscribe to Support is Sexy on Stitcher.
Click here to subscribe to Support is Sexy on Soundcloud.
Love The Episode? Please Click Here To Leave Us A Review On Apple Podcasts!
Are you ready to share your story with the world?
Click to learn more about GIRL ON PODCAST — a booking service that connects brilliant women who podcast with inspiring women who guest.
[Music: “Time Flux” by Revolution Void]