Malene Barnett , creator and Design Director of Malene B., has always been an artist, receiving awards throughout school to pursue her passion. But even though the Norwalk, Connecticut, native was clear that she was meant to do something creative with her life, she was also clear that she was not enamored with this idea of being a “starving artist.”
On this episode of the Support is Sexy podcast, Malene — who turned her passion for art and design into an award-winning design company featuring bespoke carpet, fine wall coverings and artisan tiles — talks about discovering your specialty, determining your niche, and building a distinct brand with longevity, media appeal and the never-ending potential for expansion.
On this episode, you’ll learn:
- How to determine your niche.
- The importance of knowing how to market and sell your designs.
- The benefits of having a specialty.
- Why, as a designer, you have to be aware of how much your have to budget for samples.
- Why you MUST do your research, study the industry and know the players.
- How to assess when the answer should be “no” on a potential project.
- How to approach — and connect with — potential partners.
- Her 3 tips for designers wanting to get exposure
- How to make sure your business is able to adjust to change.
- Why you have to put your work out there before you’re “ready.”
- And why, when it comes to business, you can’t take any of this personal.
VISIT MALENE B. AT maleneb.com
FOLLOW MALANE B. on…
Contact Malene B. at firstname.lastname@example.org.
USE THE CODE SUPPORT IS SEXY TO GET $10 OFF OF MALENE’S SPECIAL E-GUIDES FOR LAUNCHING AND GROWING YOUR DESIGN BUSINESS.
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Thank you for listening! And hey, if you love it, please click here to leave us a Rating & Review on iTunes!
JOIN SUPPORT IS SEXY!
[Music: “Easy” by SPCZ]