In this episode of Support is Sexy, Dawn Shedrick, Founder of JenTex Training & Consulting, is featured in Elayne’s new book GET OVER “I Got It” (HarperCollins Leadership) in Chapter 6: Stop Being the Strong. Dawn joins the podcast to speak on the dangers of being the strong one, why you need to unlearn certain unhealthy behaviors and mindsets, and how to avoid burnout and embrace support because as you know, Support is Sexy!
Elayne Fluker is the author of the new book, “Get Over ‘I Got It’: How to Stop Playing Superwoman, Get Support and Remember that Having It All Doesn’t Mean Doing It All Alone.” As host of the SUPPORT IS SEXY podcast, she interviews more than 500 successful women entrepreneurs around the world, who share inspiring, true stories of the ups and the downs of their entrepreneurial journeys. Elayne is also the founder of SiS.Academy, an online learning platform for women entrepreneurs. For more information about Elayne Fluker, please visit elaynefluker.com. Thank you for listening!
About our Guest:
Dawn E. Shedrick, LCSW-R, is Founder & Chief Executive Officer at JenTex Training & Consulting, a professional development company for social workers and human service organizations. Dawn is also a certified life and business coach, ordained interfaith minister, Reiki Master Teacher, and Clinical Aromatherapist.
Insight from this episode:
- Strategies for overcoming being “the strong one.”
- Details on the three defining features of burnout and how to recognize it in ourselves and others.
- How to set boundaries in your work to avoid and heal from burnout.
- Tips for taking control of your environment to lessen stress and empower yourself.
Quotes from the show:
- “If you look at the more specific signs and symptoms of burnout, many of them mimic the literal, clinical criteria for major depression.” –Dawn Shedrick Support is Sexy Ep. #777
- “I don’t mean that your supervisors or the people who own the company are intentionally malicious people who intend to burn you out. Sometimes it’s just the conditions that are not working for you and are harming you.” –Dawn Shedrick Support is Sexy Ep. #777
- “I’m not telling anyone to quit their job… Give yourself permission to explore and make the choice.” –Dawn Shedrick Support is Sexy Ep. #777
- “We can’t always control what is going to stress us, but we can be empowered to take responsibility and to take ownership of our environment and how we care for ourselves and each other. We have to be mindful of stress and its impact on us in terms of burnout.” –Dawn Shedrick Support is Sexy Ep. #777
- “Unlearning for me has been a process of digging into, reflecting on, deconstructing the ways in which I was conditioned to not seek support. How was I conditioned around what it meant to be independent and to be self-actualized and self-directed?” –Dawn Shedrick Support is Sexy Ep. #777
- “When I let go of the Superwoman Complex and hired [a team], I can focus on the aspects of my business that are going to allow it to grow and to expand, yes, to bring in more revenue, but to actually have more impact, which is more important to me.” –Dawn Shedrick Support is Sexy Ep. #777
- “There’s as much value in the unlearning as there is in the learning.” –Dawn Shedrick Support is Sexy Ep. #777
Facebook: Elayne Fluker
LinkedIn: Elayne Fluker
Youtube: Elayne Fluker
Support is Sexy
Website: Support is Sexy Podcast
Facebook: Support is Sexy
Youtube: Support is Sexy Podcast Playlist
Post-production for this episode was provided by Podcast Laundry.
[Music: “Stomp and Clap” by Scott Holmes from Free Music Archive]