Karen Cahn, a native of Canton, Massachusetts, has always believed in women building their own thing, living on their own terms and having their own money no matter what — even when working for another company. Karen, who has worked ever since she was 13, took a job very early in her career at Google and spent 10 years at the Internet giant, working with YouTube, leading strategy in video and becoming an intrapreneur by launching a business within the business — the Branded Entertainment Group — which let her know that, yep, she could be a badass entrepreneur.
Today, Karen has launched two businesses, is financially secure and is clearer than ever that money buys freedom, and now she is creating spaces (and businesses) where other women can realize that freedom as well. Through her latest venture, ifundwomen.com, which is the first crowdfunding platform exclusively for women, Karen offers women entrepreneurs and creatives a way to not only get their businesses financed, but to get vital support — directly from Karen and her team — in other important ways that will help them move forward, such as video production and accountability.
On this episode of the Support is Sexy podcast, Karen talks to us about why women still lag significantly behind when it comes to funding (despite the fact that we are launching more businesses than ever), how to get of our own way, and her unwavering mission to support the female economy.
On this episode, you’ll learn…
- Myths about crowdfunding.
- 5 questions you need to ask yourself for your project.
- Why crowdfunding is a great way to test your project and see if there’s a business there.
- Why it’s all about FFFs.
- What the confidence gap for women is and how Karen is working to close it.
- Why men don’t have the confidence gap.
- How to know when someone is NOT going to invest in your business or project.
- Why we need to stop apologizing and people pleasing.
- Being aware of how you process feedback.
- How you do yourself a disservice if you don’t share your idea with other people out of fear of stealing it.
- How the recent US election has refueled her passion.
VISIT KAREN CAHN AT ifundwomen.com.
CONNECT WITH IFUNDWOMEN ON…
Thank you for listening! And hey, if you love it, please leave us a Rating & Review on iTunes!
[Music: “Someone Else’s Memories” by Revolution Void]