Voiceover Artist Joan Baker Tells How to Break into the Voiceover Industry and Reframe Rejection
For years, actor and voice over artist Joan Baker resisted the calling to become an entrepreneur. It wasn’t until she met her future husband and business partner, Rudy, in 1994 that she began to think differently. Together, the duo later created a series of innovative workshops in New York that brought together talented artist in the voice over community with agents, managers and producers.
Today, they have an annual event, That’s Voiceover — an interactive, behind-the-scenes career event where the top agents and industry buyers come together with some of the top voice actors in the voiceover industry, an awards show called “The Voice Arts Awards,” to celebrate voice over talent and was coined by Good Morning America as the “Oscars of voiceover,” and The Society of Voice Arts and Sciences (SOVAS). On this episode of the Support is Sexy podcast, Joan — a native of San Francisco, who now resides in New York — talks about how she overcame racism in her childhood and in the entertainment industry, how she learned to reframe rejection, and the mindset shift that opened up doors for her as an artist and an entrepreneur.
On this episode you’ll learn:
- How to reframe the “rejection” of the entertainment industry.
- The mindset shift she had that opened up doors for her as an artist.
- The moment she realized that she had to choose herself and become an entrepreneur, and create her own work.
- The power of not knowing the rules.
- What it takes to create a kickass voiceover demo.
- How to get jobs and opportunities in the voiceover industry.
- Insider advice on what it takes to be a voiceover artist (and why it’s not really about your voice).
- 3 things Joan wishes she knew about the entertainment business when she first started out.
- The importance of having a coach who can give you the “worm’s eye point of view” and the “bird’s eye point of view.”
VISIT THE SOCIETY OF VOICE ARTS AND SCIENCES AT sovas.org
CONTACT JOAN BAKER AT:
FOLLOW JOAN BAKER AT:
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Learn how use podcast “guesting” to grow your business and be a guest that gets booked again and again!
DON’T MISS AN EPISODE OF SUPPORT IS SEXY!
GIRL ON PODCAST – A podcast booking service for women — to connecting brilliant women who podcast with inspiring women who guest! Are you interested in sharing your message via podcast as a guest? Are you a host looking for incredible guests? Visit GirlOnPodcast.com now to find out more!
MeetEdgar* – A social media management tool that helps you easily recycle and re-promote your evergreen content and increase engagement! Use the promo code SEXY for one month free + $30 off your second month!
*Affiliate links: I get a fee from our partners at no cost to you, if you purchase or use these recommended products or services. But remember: I ONLY recommend products and services I use and love!
[Music: “Time Flux” by Revolution Void]