When Camara Aunique Helps first met superstar stylist June Ambrose, she was working at the makeup counter at Lord & Taylor, and June—the creator of unforgettable looks for some of the biggest names in entertainment–was just passing through. But Camara had something she needed the legendary stylist to know, and that something was that she would do a skeptical-but-kind June’s makeup one day.
That someday is today.
As we conduct our podcast interview, Camara — now an in-demand celebrity makeup artist — fields text messages from June (whose makeup she did, indeed, do and does, seven years after that encounter at Lord & Taylor) and from a list of other celebrity clients.
Hear Camara talk about her journey from makeup counter to making celebrities beautiful for red carpets, TV appearances, films and more, and how she made many sacrifices to keep her promise not only to June, but also to herself.
On this episode you’ll learn…
- The truth about the not-so-glamorous side of the makeup business.
- What it takes to break into the business.
- How far humility gets you.
- The importance of taking the time to learn how to be a better artist.
- What you need to know about working with celebrity clients.
- The importance of staying connected and staying ready.
- How to handle slow seasons and manage your money.
- Why being an assistant and consistent learning makes you a leader in your industry.
Thank you for listening! And hey, if you love it, click here to leave us a Rating & Review on iTunes!
[Music: “Someone Else’s Memories” by Revolution Void]