Dahcia Bastien became fascinated with the idea of becoming an entrepreneur during college at University at Albany, when her boyfriend-now-husband, Jacques Bastien — who freelanced throughout school — defined entrepreneurship as the freedom to create something that’s your own. Dahcia didn’t know exactly what that freedom looked like for her, but what she made sure to do was remain open to the possibilities, even while working her 9-to-5 job at the New York State Assembly after graduation.
As she worked with her husband on running his marketing company, Boogie, this possibility eventually evolved into Shade — an innovative influencer marketing agency she created that represents influencers of color. On this episode of the Support is Sexy podcast, Dahcia shares how to find a gap in the market, jump in and fill it, how to serve underserved customers, the importance of launching before you’re “ready” and knowing when to move on and when you’re on to something. PLUS, what you need to know to build your brand and become a successful influencer.
On this episode you’ll learn:
- The importance of testing your market.
- How to know when you’re onto something with your new business.
- Find a gap in the market and see if you’re passionate about filling it.
- Take action even before you’re “ready.”
- What it really means to be an influencer.
- Three most important qualities of successful influencers.
- The average rates for influencer campaigns.
- Her advice for new influencers.
- What people misunderstand about influencer market.
- When it’s time to pivot from one business idea to the next — which isn’t always easy.
VISIT SHADE AT Shade.co.
FOLLOW SHADE AT…
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Thank you for listening! And hey, if you love it, please click here to leave us a Rating & Review!
JOIN SUPPORT IS SEXY!
[Music: “Easy” by SPCZ]