In January of this year, Doreen Oliver went through a period of her life where she felt “dead inside,” like she was not doing what God had put her on this earth to do – create.
With a successful career as a producer of film, television and theater productions, Doreen’s life had changed dramatically after she became a wife and mother, with new schedules and the needs of the family, including additional care for one of her sons who has autism. When Doreen realized that she had lost herself, and that she needed to get back to what she loved, she decided it was time to have a few difficult conversations, and to, again, start creating. The result: her widely praised one-woman show, Everything is Fine Until It’s Not.
On this episode of the Support is Sexy podcast, Doreen talks about getting back to your goals after motherhood, telling your family the inconvenient truth and having space to create something that’s all about you.
Subscribe to Support is Sexy podcast on iTunes or on Stitcher Radio!
On this episode you’ll learn:
- How to recognize when it’s time for a change of pace.
- The benefits of getting back to your goals after motherhood.
- Finding that thing that lights you up and is just for you.
- How to be an advocate for yourself and your needs as a mom.
- Don’t be afraid of inconveniencing those you love.
- Have realistic expectations for yourself and others.
- Share your goals with other people – you’ll be surprised that support will show up where you least expect it.
- Why it’s important for your children to see you do something that you’re passionate about.
Thank you for listening! And hey, if you love it, click here to leave us a Rating & Review on iTunes!
VISIT DOREEN at doreenoliver.com
FOLLOW DOREEN AT…
RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Sweet Honey in the Rock
Ntozake Shange, For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When The Rainbow Is Enuf (1975)
Lee Daniels Entertainment
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR SUPPORT IS SEXY EMAIL and get access to resources, events and a community of ambitious, generous and brilliant women entrepreneurs.
FOLLOW SUPPORT IS SEXY
FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | MASTERMIND
[Music: “Someone Else’s Memories” by Revolution Void]
[Image of Doreen: © 2016 Julia Maloof Verderosa]