In this episode of Support is Sexy, Dr. Traci Baxley teaches her philosophy of social justice parenting. Whether you have children or not, you can practice these pillars, or ROCKS: Reflecting, Open dialogue, Compassion, Kindness, and Social engagement. Dr. Baxley gives strategies to engage in difficult conversations with your children, have compassion for yourself, and live an everyday life of activism. Find out how to apply concepts of belonging into your life on this episode of Support is Sexy.
Elayne Fluker is author of the new book, “Get Over ‘I Got It’: How to Stop Playing Superwoman, Get Support and Remember that Having It All Doesn’t Mean Doing It All Alone.” As host of the SUPPORT IS SEXY podcast, she interviews more than 500 successful women entrepreneurs around the world, who share inspiring, true stories of the ups and the downs of their entrepreneurial journeys. Elayne is also founder of SiS.Academy, an online learning platform for women entrepreneurs. For more information about Elayne Fluker, please visit elaynefluker.com. Thank you for listening!
About our Guest:
Dr. Traci Baxley is a cultural and race identity coach and the founder of Social Justice Parenting, which supports families in intentional parenting, creating safe spaces of belonging. Driven by compassion and radical love in the mothering of her own biracial children, she specializes in coaching mothers in transracial families, specifically white moms of Black children.
Insight from this episode:
- Strategies on creating authentic spaces of belonging in our homes, businesses, and communities.
- How to exist, navigate, and parent in a world of colorism and raise anti-racist children with high self-esteem.
- Strategies for mothers of transracial or biracial families to help their children navigate between two worlds.
Quotes from the show:
- “Belonging in its rawest form is really about people who want to be a part of something bigger than they are…we want to feel like who we are is enough and what we bring to the table will land somewhere.” –Dr. Traci Baxley Support is Sexy Episode #736
- “There are times when, because of that little girl in me, I still have to push myself to advocate for myself, to say I belong here, or to just have a sense of belonging. –Elayne Fluker Support is Sexy Episode #736
- “If you can’t come to work or be in your home… and feel like your whole authentic self…it impacts the way that you interact with others, it impacts your creativity, it impacts your productivity…So when you don’t belong, there’s rippling effects that I think impact everything around you…It impacts your bottom line.” –Dr. Traci Baxley Support is Sexy Episode #736
- “Our children need to know that we don’t have those answers, so that they can see us model how to get through those things when you don’t know the answers.” –Dr. Traci Baxley Support is Sexy Episode #736
- “People get a little freaked out when they hear the word “social justice.” They think it’s this big huge thing that only powerful people can do or large groups of people, but social justice is in your own house.” –Dr. Traci Baxley Support is Sexy Episode #736
- “The world for your kid can’t be a better place if my child is still hurting.” –Dr. Traci Baxley Support is Sexy Episode #736
Facebook: Elayne Fluker
LinkedIn: Elayne Fluker
Youtube: Elayne Fluker
Dr. Traci Baxley
Facebook: Traci Baxley
LinkedIn: Traci Baxley
Support is Sexy
Website: Support is Sexy Podcast
Facebook: Support is Sexy
Youtube: Support is Sexy Podcast Playlist
Post-production for this episode was provided by Podcast Laundry
[Music: “Stomp and Clap” by Scott Holmes from Free Music Archive]